The course provides the candidate with the competence required to deliver safe and enjoyable aquatic activity programs for children between the age of six months to four years of age.
• Pre requisite
Candidates are required to have :
1. AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety™ accreditation. 2. a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
Delivery Strategy :
The course consists of theory and practical components :
1. Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre. 2. Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water.
The course consists of approximately 8 – 14 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised on the job teaching hours. Topics include :
1. Philosophy of infant and preschool aquatics 2. Early childhood development 3. Teacher, parent and child relationships 4. Health, hygiene and water safety 5. Water familiarisation 6. Aquatic skill development 7. Plan, deliver and review a lesson
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
1. Practical demonstration of teaching skills, including the preparation of lesson plans. 2. Continuous Aquatic Sequence. 3. On-line theory assessment.
• Additional Requirements
1. Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency. 2. Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award. 3. Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam). 4. Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence™.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant and Preschool Aquatics™ accreditation. This is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM Teacher™ must renew their accreditation. Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Unit of Competency from the National Community Recreation Industry Training Package:
SRC AQU 0012B Foster the motor, cognitive and personal development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment.